A compilation of scriptures
by Rev. D. L. McQuinn
Before going into a series of bible studies based on the teachings and examples of the apostles, it is important to first establish the authority that the Lord entrusted in them.
We can be assured that the Lord himself picked them, trained them, opened their understanding, sent them, and even gave them a promise of divine remembrance and of further teaching of all things through the Holy Ghost.
He gave them Apostolic Authority!
PETER WOULD BE GIVEN THE KEYS
18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
That authority was to pertain to access to the kingdom of Heaven.
(As an additional note, further study into the context of this scripture reveals that “the church” is built upon the revelation of who Jesus is, not Peter as a man or a leader.)
THE APOSTLES WERE SENT OF GOD
21 Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.
– Many preachers could believe and self proclaim this today, but in regards to the apostles it is pro-claimed by the Lord himself. We can trust them!
THE HOLY GHOST WAS THEIR TEACHER
26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
– As well Jesus’ teachings would be divinely remembered by the Apostles.
JESUS PRAYED FOR THEM
20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;
13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:
14 Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.
15 Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.
– We know that Jesus prayed for those who would believe on Him through the words of the Apostles!
PAUL ALSO WAS AN APOSTLE
1 Cor 15:8-9
8 And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time.
9 For I am the least of the apostles, that am not meet to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.
JESUS EXPLAINED ALL TO THEM
34 But without a parable spake he not unto them: and when they were alone, he expounded all things to his disciples.
JESUS OPENED THEIR UNDERSTANDING
44 And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.
45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,
– How can some today think that they know more than the Apostles?
– Even today we cannot claim to be as enlightened as the Apostles!
JESUS ENTRUSTED THEM
1 Thess 2:4
4 But as we were allowed of God to be put in trust with the gospel, even so we speak; not as pleasing men, but God, which trieth our hearts.
– Jesus entrusted the Apostles with the Gospel.
THE APOSTLES KNEW FULL WELL WHAT THEY WERE DOING WHEN THEY BAPTISED IN JESUS NAME!
27 And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.
– The Apostles knew who Jesus was.
– They understood the Godhead!
– They understood his dual nature!
– We can be assured they understood Matt 28:19 when they consistently baptized in Jesus name!
THEY WERE OF GOD
1 John 4:1-6
4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.
2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:
3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.
4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.
5 They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them.
6 We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.
– If you do not accept the God given authority of the Apostles you are not of God.
– If your pastor or teacher disregards what the Apostles taught, he is not of God.
– If those you esteem highly as Christians do not heed the Apostles, they are NOT of God!
– We must hear with affirmative, obedient action!
THE APOSTLES CLAIM TO HAVE THE GOSPEL MESSAGE OF SALVATION
2 Cor 4:1-7
4:1 Therefore seeing we have this ministry, as we have received mercy, we faint not;
2 But have renounced the hidden things of dishonesty, not walking in craftiness, nor handling the word of God deceitfully; but by manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man’s conscience in the sight of God.
3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:
4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
5 For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus’ sake.
6 For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.
7 But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.
– If the Apostle’s gospel is hidden to you, the Bible declares you as lost.
– The Apostles knew they held the message of salvation, they had the authority to preach it, teach it, baptise, lay on hands, judge and write it down for others!
– We need to know what the Apostle’s gospel is!
See our other study guide on the Apostle’s Gospel!
SO WHAT CAN WE CONCLUDE THUS FAR?
A) That Jesus was very clear on establishing the apostles as the knowledgeable, divinely appointed, Spirit led, enlightened bearers of the New Testament message of salvation whom He not only prayed for, but prayed for those who would believe in Him through their word! And…
B) That the apostles recognized the trust that was in them, that the message they had was for salvation and if someone taught otherwise they were not of God!
WHAT HAPPENED TO THE APOSTOLIC MESSAGE?
6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:
7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.
8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.
– Even since the apostles time, there have been those who have changed the apostolic message!
– There is the belief that the apostles had an immature faith and understanding that needed improved upon! This opened the door to perverting or changing the gospel and discrediting the apostles!
WHAT IS AN APOSTOLIC CHURCH?
23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.
24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
– An Apostolic Church embraces the original doctrines and understanding Jesus entrusted to the apostles (Truth) as well as the Apostolic or Pentecostal experience (Spirit)!
– Please follow these Study Guides to learn more about this Apostolic message and experience!
WE ARE NOT TO CHANGE THE WORD OF GOD
18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
– This is most certainly the conclusion to the book of Revelation but many believe a fitting conclusion to the entire Bible!
– If as some believe, the Apostles had a primitive understanding and they themselves a deeper knowledge and understanding, they in effect take away from the Word of God!
– They discredit the writers of the New Testament and render it unathoritive!
– They set themselves up as being better qualified and more spiritual than those who the Lord hand picked to instruct them!
– This is a sort of insurrection not only towards the apostles but the Lord Himself!
SHOULD WE LOOK TO THE CREEDS FOR A GREATER UNDERSTANDING OF THE WORD OF GOD?
Absolutely not! The creeds should not be looked upon as an authority that would open our understanding of the doctrines of the Bible!
– The creeds are an effort to establish doctrine, but not necessarily Apostolic doctrine!
THE APOSTLES CREED
The Apostle’s Creed was not written by the apostles, in fact it was written well after they were all dead!
– The best place to get an understanding of what the apostles believed is the Bible, not a council of men with an opinion!
WHAT ARE SOME NOTABLE CHANGES FROM THE APOSTOLIC DOCTRINE AND EXPERIENCE TO WHAT WE SEE IN OUR CHURCHES TODAY?
Jesus and the apostles taught baptism to be for salvation! Mark 16:15-16, I Pet 3:20-21
Mark 16:15-16 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
1 Peter 3:20-21 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water. The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:
– Many churches today teach baptism to be an outward sign of an inward grace!
Jesus and the apostles taught baptism by immersion.
John 3:5, Rom 6:3-5, Col 2:12
John 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
– Many churches today sprinkle!
Jesus and the apostles taught baptism in conjunction with repentance and believing which require a certain maturity and understanding.
Luke 24:47, Acts 8:35-40
Luke 24:47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.
Acts 8:35-40 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus. And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized? And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him. And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing. But Philip was found at Azotus: and passing through he preached in all the cities, till he came to Caesarea.
– Many churches today christen infants!
Jesus and the apostles taught baptism for the remission (forgiveness) of sins.
Acts 22:16, Acts 10:43, Luke 24:47
Acts 22:16And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.
Acts 10:43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.
– Many churches today teach forgiveness at repentance!
Jesus and the apostles both taught baptism in Jesus name and the apostles knew full well what they were doing when they baptized in Jesus name.
Luke 24:47, Acts 2:38, Acts 4:10-12
– Many churches today don’t understand, so they conclude they will play it safe and choose to repeat Jesus’ words from Matt 28:19 “in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost” rather than accept that the apostles knew what they were doing when they obeyed this instruction when they baptised in Jesus name!
**Please Note (“Name” is singular!)
The apostles taught salvation by obedience to the gospel which is the Death, Burial and Resurrection of Jesus Christ. which we obey through our death (dying to sin and self), our burial (baptism in Jesus name) and our resurrection (rising to walk in newness of life)!